Thursday 7 March 2013

Wu Wei

Having purchased Dave Trott's 'Creative Mischief' nearly a year ago, I finally cracked its spine and had a peep inside. I know every time I open a book I will be presented with a new opinion, new knowledge and a fresh voice, a treat I wish I could indulge in more often.
   This time it hit me within the first few pages. Translated into English, 'Wu Wei' means 'action by inaction', relating to achieving a desired result by doing the least possible yourself. Trott goes on to quote the situation that lead to Winston Churchill's rise to Prime Minister;

'Neville Chamberlain was about to resign as Prime Minister (...). He called Winston Churchill and Lord Halifax into his office. He said. "Well, one of you two will have to replace me. Who's it going to be?"
Churchill wrote, "I knew no Englishman could ever say 'Give it to me'. So whoever spoke first would be the loser. It was the longest 30 seconds of my life, but nothing would induce me to speak." Eventually Halifax couldn't bear it any longer. He cracked. He said "Well, I suppose you'd better give it to Winston."'

Without doubt, these 30 seconds carve the path of our country, still doing so until this day. The power of silence, white space, minimalism and having the balls to do it are overlooked, by me, the man next to me and possibly the reader of this post. 

We are all so eager to express, whether it be visually, verbally or physically. I can't recall where I heard this, but somebody once said, 'It's not about the words, but the spaces between them that make the sentence.' 

This profound concept is one of near-perfection, does it really matter what we say? Or is the focus on what we don't say, and how we do or don't say it? 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment